How to choose the right mat board:
There are three types of mat boards typically used. From our Economy, Conservation and Museum lines of picture matting. Available in a large selection of colors and are suitable for most everyday matting needs. 4ply, approx 1/16" thick or 8ply, approx 1/8".
• Economy Paper Mat Board (wood pulp) are Buffered pH neutral (acid-free, non conservation).
• Conservation Alpha Cellulose Mat Board (purified wood pulp) 100% virgin alpha cellulos premium quantity matting is acid-free, lignin-free and meets the industry's highest standards for conservation grade picture matting.
• Museum RagMat Board (cotton) Nothing compares to the quality and permanence of 100% Cotton Museum RagMat by Crescent Cardboard and Nielsen Bainbridge, the recognized leaders in the manufacturing of paper and board for the framing and art materials market. RagMat Museum mat board meets the highest specifications for museums and archivists worldwide. Museum Rag provides optimum archival quality protection for fine works of art on paper or other materials. Recommended for extremely valuable and original works or art, rare and antique documents and items of historical importance.
About Mat Board Cores
When a window is cut into a mat board it will expose the core of the material. All windows are cut at a 45 degree bevel and exposes the core color of the matting. The four typical types are described below. The bevel is approximatelyy 1/8" wide for 4ply matting and approximately 1/4" for our thicker 8ply boards.
• CREAM CORE economy mat board has a light cream color core, is the most economically priced, and offers the most extensive range of color and texture options for non-conservation matting and framing.
• WHITE CORE mat board has a bright white bevel and is available in an economy White Core and conservation (archival) grade with our Select White Core or Alpha Mat.
• BLACK CORE mat board adds a dramatic touch to framing presentations with a deep black bevel and is available in economy Black Core and conservation UltiBlack matting.
• SOLID COLOR is made with one solid color throughout and comes in both 4ply and 8ply options. Our solid color matting is available in economy 8ply Gallery Boards, conservation 4ply Select Solids, 8ply Select Solids and 100% cotton Museum Rag 4ply and 8ply.
Choose the right mat board from three types of mat boards typically used. From our Economy, Conservation and Museum lines of picture matting. Available in a large selection of colors and are suitable for most everyday matting needs. 4ply, approx 1/16" thick or 8ply, approx 1/8".